Coming back from a long break from weights? Maybe you gave up previously on it because you didn’t see the results you wanted?
Regardless of the reason, this quick guide will help you out.
Coming Back From a Long Break
If you want to learn how to start working out again, after coming back from a long break, you have to start off with the basics.
Do not expect to:
- Lift the same amount of weight you did before
- Spend the same amount of time as you did before.
Start off with 3 days of working out per week with compound lifts and minimal isolation exercises.
Compound lifts consists of:
- Bench Press
- Overhead Press
Isolation exercises consist of:
- Bicep Curls
- Tricep Extensions
- Lateral Raises
Run a Push, Pull, Legs program by doing the following workout:
Monday: Push Workout
- Bench Press 3 sets of 5 reps
- Overhead Press 3 sets of 5 reps
- Tricep Extensions 3 sets of 8 reps
- Lateral Raises 3 sets of 8 Reps
Wednesday: Pull Workout
- Deadlift 3 sets of 5 reps
- Pull-Ups (assisted if needed) 3 sets of 5 reps
- Bicep Curls 3 sets of 8 reps
- DB Rows 3 sets of 8 Reps
Friday: Legs Workout
- Squats 3 sets of 5 reps
- Romanian Deadlift 3 sets of 5 reps
- Lunges 3 sets of 8 reps
- Calf Raises 3 sets of 8 Reps
Use 50-60% of the weight you used to lift before and focus on the contraction of each rep.
Go slow and make sure your form is correct.
Follow this and add 5-10 lbs to the exercise every week until you are back up to where you were before.
You may get back faster than that depending on how much weaker you actually are.
You may also get back faster because of muscle memory (yes, it’s a real thing).
Coming Back to Because of a Lack of Results
A lack of results usually has to do with:
- Not waiting long enough to see it through (not sticking to it)
- Not having your nutrition in check
For the first point, I’d recommend just starting new and buying a beginner’s book like Bigger Leaner Stronger or Thinner Leaner Stronger from Amazon.
These books are incredible for beginners and someone who wants a fresh start.
I followed Bigger Leaner Stronger for years and it saved me so much time! I highly recommend it.
If you don’t have your nutrition in check, this guide will teach you all about how to get it in check.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Last update on 2021-01-27 at 18:54 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API